OUYA support external hard drives?

This is a discussion on OUYA support external hard drives? within the OUYA Tech Support forums, part of the OUYA MAIN DISCUSSIONS category; I'm trying to use an external 500gb for added storage but the Android storage manager only shows internal storage and SD card (which the OUYA ...

Member #

OUYA support external hard drives?

I'm trying to use an external 500gb for added storage but the Android
    storage manager only shows internal storage and SD card (which the OUYA
    doesn't even have)? I've tried various formats but the Ouya doesn't recognize
    it. Do we have to wait for a system update? I don't want to fill the internal
    memory.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I think you should be able to use a USB? or maybe and application that will allow you to see the external storage.
    RobKort S-Mod

Please PM me for any help...

Member #
    You can transfer files to the OUYA with a micro usb cable like most other android devices. Just been doing it myself for some legal emulator roms.

USB storage atm does not seem to be integrated,.......... I hope this gets added soon as plan to take my ouya on holiday and use a USB drive for storage of media files.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by l0n3w0lf View Post
    Just been doing it myself for some legal emulator roms..
    you mean on Ouya? But the USB port doesn't seem to be available at this point in time. I have tried with an SD card reader and this is not recognized. Or have the used the micro-USB port?

Do you manage to put in game roms for emulators at the moment? Or is the only way to install the ODK and connect a PC to the Ouya using the micro USB port or can you connect SD card reader to this port?
    Last edited by liop; 06-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by liop View Post
    you mean on Ouya? But the USB port doesn't seem to be available at this point in time. I have tried with an SD card reader and this is not recognized. Or have the used the micro-USB port?

Do you manage to put in game roms for emulators at the moment? Or is the only way to install the ODK and connect a PC to the Ouya using the micro USB port or can you connect SD card reader to this port?
    Yes you can use a usb hard drive. I use one everyday. You don't need to connect it to your computer or any thing like that. Connect it before boot up and its called usbdrive in the root directory. You may need a file manager like esfile explorer to do anything, but all the emulators, xbmc ext.. can browse the external storage. I have not however figured out how to connect more than one external storage device.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by calev View Post
    Yes you can use a usb hard drive. I use one everyday. You don't need to connect it to your computer or any thing like that. Connect it before boot up and its called usbdrive in the root directory. You may need a file manager like esfile explorer to do anything, but all the emulators, xbmc ext.. can browse the external storage. I have not however figured out how to connect more than one external storage device.
    ok im using utorrent to down load movies on my ouya to watch and then i filled up my 8bg on my ouya how do i transfer them to my external i tried using es file and all it says is it failed

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jaunesmith View Post
    ok im using utorrent to down load movies on my ouya to watch and then i filled up my 8bg on my ouya how do i transfer them to my external i tried using es file and all it says is it failed
    I dont think the ouya can write to a ntsf formatted drive. You might have to reformat the drive to fat32 but i have not tested this. You might as well connect your ouya to your computer to get them off now.

Member #
    ok, here is my current status: OUYA with 1.0.6 system, external hdd connected for the USB port (the big one), FAT formatted -> OUYA doesn't see the drive.

EDIT: it is actually recognized, but not seen in the OUYA setup storage section... But I can access it from a emulator app, under /mnt/usbdrive
    Last edited by liop; 07-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Ads