[Rumor] OUYA Could End Up Getting Some Huge Backing and Become an Amazon Exclusive

This is a discussion on [Rumor] OUYA Could End Up Getting Some Huge Backing and Become an Amazon Exclusive within the OUYA News forums, part of the OUYA FORUM NEWS category; Just last year, developers of the OUYA Android gaming console raised $8.6 million on KickStarter to "kick start" their dream of dominating our living rooms ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm
  • 1 Post By justin82
  • 1 Post By dgstorm
  • 1 Post By mountainbikermark

Thread: [Rumor] OUYA Could End Up Getting Some Huge Backing and Become an Amazon Exclusive

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

[Rumor] OUYA Could End Up Getting Some Huge Backing and Become an Amazon Exclusive

Just last year, developers of the OUYA Android gaming console raised $8.6 million on KickStarter to "kick start" their dream of dominating our living rooms with Android gaming goodness. Some new rumors suggest they might end up getting even bigger backing than that. According to the latest intel, Amazon is actively courting OUYA to become an exclusive Amazon product.

If this intel turns out to be true, it would probably not be surprising and would likely be a huge boon for both companies. For OUYA, it would give them some seriously powerful investment backing, and it would give them one of the most solid distribution channels on the planet. For Amazon, it would help them break into the console gaming market in a relatively inexpensive way, and continue to grow their massive media distribution empire.

What do you guys think? Would an OUYA partnership with Amazon be a good thing for the console, or would it make you less apt to buy it?

Source: Fudzilla
    Last edited by dgstorm; 01-09-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    wicked likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    My biggest fear is they will drive the price up . etc.. the best thing this has to offer is the pricetag..
    dgstorm likes this.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Your point is valid, but Amazon is known for selling their Kindle products at low price points to get them into people's hands so Amazon can make money selling them content. Perhaps they would use the same model for the OUYA...
    justin82 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yep i think price will be even more affordable so long as amazon is able to preload all of their media software onto the ouya.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Everytime I try to order from Amazon I get a message that the item can not be shipped to international desttinations.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I haven't been too happy or satisfied in my dealings with Amazon. I avoid them and would not look forward to this becoming a reality.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid-Xer View Post
    Yep i think price will be even more affordable so long as amazon is able to preload all of their media software onto the ouya.
    this is a concern of mine as well. but with it being pre rooted i guess you could get rid of it .
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Super Moderator mountainbikermark's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by justin82 View Post
    My biggest fear is they will drive the price up . etc.. the best thing this has to offer is the pricetag..
    The reason a few years back for the sudden increase in price of Amazon content was a settlement over a suit by, you'll never guess, Apple that Amazon was unfairly undercutting its prices of iTunes.
    As far as Amazon tagged hardware they have adopted the business model of sell at or near cost, sometimes even selling as a loss leader to get us to buy their content at huge profits.
    I'd look for more of the same with an agreement here as well. There's too much competition for gaming for Amazon to shoot itself in the foot at the door by over pricing. Apple got away with it due to, at the time, lack of true competition in the music player, smartphone and tablet markets.
    justin82 likes this.

Super Moderator mountainbikermark's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    My only concern with the partnership would be an Amazonized system like they did with the Fire and Verizon Verizonizes their Android phones

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    My only concern with the partnership would be an Amazonized system like they did with the Fire and Verizon Verizonizes their Android phones
    never thought of that.. i would hate to see that

Ads